Friday, September 27, 2013

What Really is "Normal" When it Comes to Our Health?

The other day, someone was telling me about having gone to the medical doctor for a check up and needing to undergo the removal of a significant number of polyps in the colon.  I mentioned that I was sorry that the person was dealing with bowel problems and that helping to nutritionally re-balance the body was my area of expertise.  This person then said that there were no problems in the bowel, implying that this was just a routine matter.

I found this idea very interesting.  I think that many of us have bought into the idea that the breakdown of our bodies is a normal process.  True, we all age and, as such, can expect that we will feel differently than when we were in our twenties or thirties.  However, that doesn't mean that we necessarily will develop chronic conditions or diseases as a matter of course.  Polyps, for example, are caused by an inflammatory condition in the distal portion of the intestines.  This inflammation is caused by imbalance; in my opinion, all disease, pain and chronic problems are caused by imbalances in our bodies.

The question is:  "Do we believe that imbalance is the inevitable result of aging?"  I get the impression that most assume the answer is, "yes."  As we age, our cells rejuvenate at a slower and slower rate.  However, there are many things that we can do to significantly increase cellular regeneration into our seventh and eighth decades and even beyond.  Look at Betty White.  This amazing woman is 91 and has her own situation comedy and appears regularly in movies....one of my recent favorites is, "The Proposal."  I was just watching a news program on NBC  which highlighted a story about a 93 year old woman who still works as a riveter, just as she did in World War 2!  If possible, she looks even better than Betty White.

I know these are rare examples, but they do exist.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if we decided to develop and define a new paradigm for aging well and in a healthy manner and didn't assume that the chronic diseases that plague so many of us are, "just the way it is?"  We can do this, but I don't think that relying on medications with all their unintended consequences is the way to accomplish this goal.  I believe that understanding what foods, activities and behavior, both on an individual and global level, lead to imbalances is the way all of us can live healthy and productive lives well into the future.
<ahref=http://fixdhealthcare.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment