Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Do You Take Glucosamine and/or Chondroitin? Beware of the Following....

I was just reading about a study published in last month's issue of the World Journal of Gastroenterology.   Many doctors are seeing a connection between the taking of glucosamine and chondroitin and altered liver function test results, especially in those over 59 years of age.

The population that was studied was a fairly small one and no serious liver damage was reported in conjunction with the taking of these supplements, but for anyone taking these in the above age group who has had an abnormal liver function test result, you might want to inform your doctor.

I've had quite a bit of experience with both of these supplements and I can say that the quality and derivation of these supplements varies quite a bit.  I don't recommend purchasing the less expensive products from a Wall Mart or CVS-type of facility as they carry laboratory-produced supplements.  I've written extensively about how lab supplements are produced in comparison to their more expensive and effective whole food counterparts.  I don't know what the source of the chondroitin or glucosamine was that was studied, but I'm betting that it was made in a lab.

At any rate, I think this is worth noting as any supplement that may cause an abnormal result in a lab test is worth knowing about.

<ahref=http://fixdhealthcare.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment