Monday, October 12, 2015

Is Chiropractic Care Safe During Pregnancy? What about Pickle Juice for a Healthy Pregnancy?

Yesterday, my husband and I were discussing patient care.  He told me that he was talking with a woman in her third trimester who didn't know that chiropractic care wouldn't harm her baby and that it is often very helpful, not only in pain, discomfort and nutritional management but also in the delivery process, itself.  I've treated many pregnant women who, to a person, have told me that my treatment helped them have an enjoyable pregnancy and easy delivery compared to a pregnancy when they hadn't had chiropractic care.

I asked my self, "Why is it that many women are so often uninformed about alternative pregnancy care?"  I think the answer is a combination of very poor public information by us chiropractors as well as very good anti-chiropractic marketing by the medical profession.

My first venture into treating pregnant patients came almost 27 years ago when a woman came into the office with her prenatal vitamins....they looked like little pink footballs.  Just for the fun of it, we cut the vitamin with a knife and, much to the patient's surprise, the pink coating peeled off the vitamin, resembling a plastic covering.  She was taken aback, to say the least.

The prenatal supplements that I offer are only derived from real, honest-to-goodness food.  Hmm...lets see: fake, laboratory-cooked "vitamins" or real food supplements...a very difficult decision, indeed.

I also was apprised about a new idea touted by some dietitians, recommending the daily drinking of pickle juice as a way of keeping pregnant women and all of us, "healthy."  I include the ingredients of this so-called elixir:

Now, if drinking distilled vinegar, loaded with salt and preservatives is one's idea of a healthy drink, it's beyond me.  If one wishes the benefits of vinegar (acid/base balancing), why not simply drink watered-down pure vinegar? (I like apple cider vinegar as it contains nutrients that distilled vinegar does not)
Another problem with drinking this pickle water (or any acid, for that matter) straight is enamel erosion. I always recommend that my patients who drink a lot of lemon water use a straw so their teeth would be protected against the mild acid.  The pH of vinegar is lower than that of lemon juice, so the straw idea is vital.  

I have to admit that I have never heard of drinking pickle juice as a means of keeping one healthy. I would not recommend it. 

Dr. Esther
drkollars@gmail.com
fixdhealthcare.com

No comments:

Post a Comment