Monday, October 14, 2013

Do You Own a Water-Saving, Front Load Washing Machine?

I thought I might share an experience that we have had with the front-loading, water-saving washer that we've had for 5 years. We have always made certain to dry the rubber seal around the door after each wash.  However, a few months ago, we noticed that our clothes began to emit an unpleasant odor after being washed.  We hadn't changed anything...same soap, softener and water supply, so my husband checked further and found mold had formed around the door gasket.  After doing some research, we have licked the problem using a baking soda/vinegar/water solution, for about 3 weeks' worth of washes, until the odor and mold dissipated.  The solution proportions are:  1/2 cup baking soda to 2 cups of vinegar to 1/2 cup water, mixed together, placing about 4 Tbsp. into the fabric softener dispenser during each wash.  I should warn you that the baking soda will expand, greatly.  Use a very large container in which to mix the solution.  After the initial washes, we regularly use only 2 tablespoons of white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser to help keep the mold/mildew problem at bay.

I have heard of some commercial chemical products that can be used, but since we don't use any of those products and my guess is that most of you don't, either, I thought I'd let you in on our discovery.  I recommend that you still thoroughly dry the door gasket after each washer usage.

One of my patients reminded me that the baking soda/vinegar solution also works as a fantastic drain cleaner...no "drain-o" in her house!

<ahref=http://fixdhealthcare.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment