Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Most Powerful Factor For a Happy and Healthy Life



I wonder what most of us would say that factor is: a nutritious diet; eating organically; avoiding chemical additives in foods; drinking filtered water; having a happy family life; maintaining a “healthy” weight; not smoking; doing the work that makes us feel fulfilled; believing in a higher power...all these things contribute to our sense of well being and, thus, happiness, but are not “the factor.”

It is...forgiveness... and it appears to be the single most difficult thing for most of us to do. Simply put, if we forgive, we give up the “right” to punish or take revenge on someone who has caused us pain. It has been my experience that many hang onto un-forgiveness and bitterness because they believe that by forgiving, the offender is somehow absolved of his responsibility. Truly, that isn't what happens. Forgiveness is for us and no one else. When we forgive, we let go of the other person's power that we have allowed them to have over us. We are then free to grow and live our lives in peace.

There is a biochemical reaction that occurs in the presence of violent emotion...whether in deed or thought. These chemicals eventually cause significant imbalances in our bodies, even to the point of illness and pain. I talked about the physiology and neurology of this in a previous blog about “Hypersympathetic Stimulation Syndrome.” Research published in two different psychology journals shows improvements in both physical and emotional well-being following acts of forgiveness. A study done in 2009 shows an inverse correlation between forgiveness and depression. It has been our repeated experience that patients who have come to us for treatment of protracted or unrelenting pain have all shown levels of emotional turmoil that directly related to their levels of pain. Interestingly enough, while actively forgiving, chemicals that cause us to feel happy (endorphins) and peaceful are released. Forgiveness is an action that heals like no other.

Here is an account from Dr. Weil's book about someone who experienced the healing power of forgiveness: 
 
When I was two years old, my mother remarried...This man was abusive, physically and verbally...I was angry for decades. The abuse affected every aspect of my life. I even married a man much like my stepfather...I would spend sleepless nights wishing my stepfather dead and blaming him for everything that had gone wrong in my life.
When I was forty-four, I saw him again, at my mother's home....He didn't even recognize me! I was so incredibly angry at all that he had put me through...and now he didn't even remember....who I was. I contemplated this situation for a couple of hours...then walked up to him, kissed him on the cheek and told him, 'You know, I really loved you once,' and in my heart I forgave him for all the abusive years.
Next day, I woke up free from all the anger, free from the guilt, free from the shame. I haven't had a moment's anguish from that man's actions again. I feel lighter, stronger and more confident. I can't believe that I let so much of my life be lived under a dark cloud when all I had to do was forgive, and the cloud was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment