Monday, June 3, 2013

Baking & Cooking Tips and Other Information


I thought I might take a break from all the serious topics of the past few months and write about some fun and interesting information that I've learned along the way. Some of this may be obvious to you, so please bear with those who are just in on the beginning of learning how to cook and bake.

Scallions/ Spring Onions
Many of us may cut off the green tops and simply use the white, “onion,” portion. The green tops are very tasty, contain most of the nutrients and add lovely color to the dish. I first learned about this from an exchange student from Kuwait when I was in high school who was, frankly, astonished that my mother was throwing the tops away.

Celery
Normally, I would never have thought about how the thickness of slicing this vegetable could negatively affect people's opinion as to its use. When making chicken salad, in addition to a number of different herbs, I always add finely chopped celery. One day, I had a guest over to whom I offered my salad. After a bite or two, she stopped and asked if there was celery in it. After answering affirmatively, she told me she really didn't like celery and normally didn't eat it. But, she liked it very much, finely chopped, in the salad. My guess is that her mother always coarsely chopped it as my guest was growing up. I wonder, how many times do we simply follow our mother's lead on how we prepare foods?

Baking Pie Crust
Here's a tip I learned from watching America's Test Kitchen and now wonder why in the world I hadn't figured it out for myself, years ago. How many of us end up with slightly under cooked and/or a trifle soggy bottomed pie crusts when baking with wet ingredients? Flaky pumpkin, berry or apple pie crust doesn't always happen....especially when baking the pie for less than an hour. Pre-heat the oven to 50 degrees hotter than the desired temperature and adjust the cooking rack to the lowest rung. When it's time to put the pie into the oven, turn down the temperature. You'll never again have to deal with soggy pie crusts.

A More 'Chocolatey' Flavor
Whenever you're baking with chocolate, always add a pinch of cinnamon powder and coffee to the batter. You can add the finely ground coffee powder, directly, or mix it with boiling water, then cool.

I'll continue with a few more tips in my next blog. If any of you have tips you'd like to share, I encourage you to post them on my Facebook page. It's always great to learn from others' experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment