Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Cranberry Juice vs. Antibiotics for UTI Prevention

This is an excerpt from an article I wrote when I was sending out newsletters a couple of years ago.  I thought it was worth re-visiting.


July 26, 2011 — Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) is more effective than
cranberry capsules for prevention of recurrent urinary tract infection (UTI) in
premenopausal women, according to the results of a double-blind trial reported in the July 25 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine.

"I must admit that I was truly amazed that a medical study was even done
comparing cranberry juice capsules to a gut-tearing antibiotic and that the
drug supposedly helped to prevent these infections more effectively. I'm going
to let you mull over that idea for a few minutes. When, my readers, did we
decide to use medication as the gold standard for preventative medicine? Truly
amazing.

The primary reason that the drug companies have had to develop stronger and
stronger antibiotics is the result of over prescribing this group of drugs for
most every ailment under the sun...flu, other viruses, ear infections (when
European doctors had stopped using that for kids decades, yes, decades ago),
coughs and generalized infections. Now, they appear to want us women who have
chronic urinary tract infections to take antibiotics on a regular basis. Does
anyone see a problem with this?"

I have found, over the years, that prevention means balance.  If the body is balanced, it isn't susceptible to sickness and disease.  To a person, every woman who has come to me with symptoms of a UTI, has been helped by simply re-balancing the pH of her urine.  Keeping the body in balance will prevent future infections.  The thought of taking antibiotics as the recommended method of preventing infections is one approach.  In light of the information contained in my previous few blogs about the importance of intestinal health, I wonder how many of us think that approach to be a good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment