Tuesday, May 17, 2016

What One Question do Medical Doctors Not ask Their Patients?

Normally, when one goes to the medical doctor it's for a specific problem (or maybe even a yearly physical).  The nurse will take your vitals, ask you what the problem is and take a small history.  By the time you actually see the doctor (or more probably, the PA) he/she may ask you a couple of follow-up questions, write you a prescription and, then, off you go.

If you have a doctor whom you have known a long time, you may be asked about your family or job or other such personal questions, but, I'm willing to bet you that you were never asked the following question:  "What are your health goals?"

Let's let that percolate a moment.  Truly, if you think about it, isn't that question foundational to your quality and quantity of life? Yet, as far as my experience is concerned, the only group of health care professionals that ask that question is the alternative/wholistic group.

When I see a patient/client, that is the very first question that I ask.  I may say, "How can I help you?" or, "What are five things that most concern you about your health?" but we always end up talking about personal health goals.  I spend about one and one-half to two hours with each new patient.  Perhaps, I'm a little slow, or perhaps, it's because by the time people get to me they feel marginalized by the care they have gotten from the medical profession, but I cannot do a complete history/exam/work-up/analysis/health plan in less than that.  My goal is to help re-balance the body, not to focus on any one specific diagnosis, and that takes time.

Setting goals is the first thing a financial manager will have you consider, but not your medical doctor. Think about it: we set goals for our education, our career, characteristics we want in a spouse/significant other, our wedding and so on, but not our health.  Does that make sense?

My suggestion?  Get with a health care provider that you can partner with who will help direct you toward those goals that will result in a longer, drug-free, healthier life.

Dr. Esther
fixdhealthcare.com

No comments:

Post a Comment