Tuesday, December 22, 2015

My Quest for the "Perfect" Non-Stick Pan

For many, many years I have been trying to find a poisonous chemical-free non-stick pan.  At first, there was "T-Fal."  But, soon we learned that pan was dangerous to our health as it emitted chemicals when heated to high temperatures.

Next, I tried Calaphon, but those pans were definitely Not non-stick.  I believe that the company that produces this brand does now have a non-stick option, but I'm not looking backward.

Tramentina, sold by QVC, was my next purchase.  These are stainless steel with an aluminum core and, after 20 years, still look beautiful, cook evenly but are only "stick resistant," not non-stick. Onward.

America's Test Kitchen recommended a brand of non-stick that I thought would be wonderful, for sure, as they were, after all, recommended and these people put the products through rigorous testing.  Alas, the 12 inch lasted only 6 months...not exactly what I had in mind.

My regular readers may remember that last year I wrote about the "green" non-stick fry pan as a new favorite non-stick pan. I still do use them (12, 10 and 8 inch) but the "non-stickiness" has had to be renewed, regularly, and they don't work as well as I would like.

I promise, I do have a point to this topic.  The other day, out of desperation, I tuned into QVC and was watching Wolfgang Puck demonstrating his non-stick cookware.  "Kinda expensive,"  was my response.  So, "Why not try HSN?" I thought. 

One Curtis Stone was on the air talking about his "Everyday" cookware.  I watched the entire show (including listening to how this non-stick cookware was designed and developed).  This was different...these pans weren't simply coated with a non-stick surface, but had the formulation impregnated into its 5 layers.  The pans are heavy-duty (much heavier than all my other pans, but about the same weight as the Tramentina stainless), flat-bottomed (others are somewhat rounded), have an aluminum core and truly need zero oil of any kind.

We've made over-easy eggs with no oil, vegetable fried rice (no oil) and a fantastic brownie recipe that was highly tweaked from a Martha Stewart recipe which called for oiling and flouring the baking pan and oiling and flouring the parchment paper, but with my non-stick pan, cooked up perfectly with no greasing necessary.

Oh, I don't think I told you that you don't have to use any special utensils with this cookware...I used stainless steel spoons in it last night!  It doesn't scratch because there isn't any surface coating. Wow.  I didn't have to prepare the pan before use or do anything special before cooking.  I really like that. (The "Green" cookware has to be "re-non-stuck" every so often.) The pans even came with a universal lid...it fits my 8", 10" and 12" pans perfectly.

So, I'm hoping that I will continue to delight in the new fry pans for many years to come.  HSN sells these online and I highly recommend them to any of you who have similar experiences with non-stick cookware.

I thought I might give you the brownie recipe, tomorrow.  Best brownies I've ever eaten.

Dr Esther
drkollars@gmail.com
fixdhealthcare.com


No comments:

Post a Comment