Thursday, January 22, 2015

Problems with Almond Milk? Try This...

I've noticed that frequently our bodies build up a tolerance when eating/drinking a particular food over a prolonged period of time.  Many of our patients have developed a tolerance for olive oil, for instance, because that has been their sole source of fat.  Recently, someone in my family has noticed a digestive problem after eating food that was prepared with almond milk.  At this point, he is unable to tolerate any amount of almond milk and I have found an excellent replacement...Coconut milk.

Many of you probably use almond milk in your cereal or, as I do, in baking and cooking.  One of the problems with almond milk is that it is processed.  As we know any processed food can and usually does cause digestive disorders down the road.  Coconut milk may also be processed, especially if it's canned.  I have found that canned coconut milk contains additives, too.  I do use Hemp milk, but as it has a distinctive flavor, I needed another alternative that wasn't highly processed.

I spent quite a bit of time on Amazon.com, as we have few choices for unprocessed coconut milk in our area.  I found a product from Thailand that is 100% coconut milk...nothing else. It comes in 8.5 fl. ounce boxes, a size I find particularly convenient.  Additionally, it turns out to be a terrific replacement for the now defunct nut-based Healthy Top that I used to use as a substitute for whipping cream!  The flavor is mild and enjoyable. 

I don't recommend rice milk as it, too, is highly processed.  Hemp milk is not highly processed and contains naturally-occurring vitamins and minerals.  So for those with nut allergies and/or a desire to stay away from processed, additive ridden alternatives to dairy,  try coconut or hemp milk.

The particular product I use is "Aroy-D" 100% Coconut Milk in the 8.5 ounce boxes.  There are many products to choose from on Amazon in case  you don't like the individual box servings idea, just be certain to check that the label indicates it's, "100% coconut milk."  Oh, since it isn't processed, you'll have to "help" reconstitute the milk...the instructions are on the label.

www.fixdhealthcare.com

No comments:

Post a Comment