Friday, May 23, 2014

Warnings About the Foods You Buy

I was listening to the news, this morning.  I was struck by the number of recalls...not by our car manufacturers, but by the food industry.  Problems with e. coli, listeria, salmonella and so on, in pre-packaged hamburger patties, humus and other packaged foods.

As consumers, I believe that we need to open our eyes to an on-going pattern of food contamination in the packaged food industry.  Do we truly need pre-made, frozen (and in my opinion, rather tasteless) hamburger patties?  Do we need our carrots, celery, cheese, other raw vegetables and lettuce already cut and prepared for instant use when this sets us up for potentially sickening food contamination?

I would ask us all to stop using convenience foods and begin preparing food at home, at the time we wish to eat.  We can make our own humus quite easily in the amount that we need, at the time.  I know that cutting up vegetables can be time consuming, but considering the possible consequences, isn't our family worth the bother?

It doesn't take a lot of expensive, fancy appliances to prepare our food.  A blender, food processor and an electric mixer (may even be an inexpensive hand-held variety...Cuisinart makes one for about $70.00)  are all I use for all my recipes.  I don't have a microwave, toaster oven, special utensils or even special baking dishes, pots or pans.  I do have very good knifes and a knife sharpener...vital for all that, "cutting up." 

Hopefully, we'll all think about what changes, no matter how small, we can make to improve the quality of food that we eat.

<ahref=http://fixdhealthcare.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment